Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Surviving Inauguration


Well, I survived! It wasn't a complete nightmare, but there were moments. Roads were closed, only one bridge allowed us to get into DC from Virginia... Think about all the traffic going into the city and 10,000 other buses visiting the capitol. We got lost in the ghetto one evening. It never dawned on my driver to check out a map for the next venue while the group wasn't on the bus. I had to be the navigator in a city I don't know that well. I had transfer issues for a set of three passengers to and from the airport. Mile long waits at Reagan International on the way home - Seriously, I felt sorry for those flying US Airways. The line for that particular airline spanned the entire airport, plus out the door. Incredible.


That being said, the inauguration itself was incredible! As soon as we stepped out of the bus we got swept up in a wave of people that were walking in four lanes of traffic toward the National Mall. The atmosphere was electric with excitement. People kept moving, but there wasn't pushing or shoving. We got to the Mall itself around 8 a.m. and we settled near a jumbo tron at 12th St. - approx one mile from the Capitol. I had wiggle room about the size of a newspaper. The worst part was standing for five hours. Thankfully I had little warmers to put in my gloves and boots. Otherwise, I don't know if I could have stood it. One of my middle school students began to cry because she was so cold and her chaperon took her into one of the Smithsonian's.

All in all, it was an experience of a lifetime. Would I do it again? Possibly. Would I do it with a group of 40? Doubtful. Enjoy the small video of my surroundings.

1 comment:

The McDowells said...

Glad you survived the cold and the crowds!