Thursday, August 28, 2008

GLR Runs out of Steam

Well, I figured this day would come, but I didn't think it would be until after the fall tour season. The following news clip says it all.

GrandLuxe Rail Journeys is closing down operations on Aug. 29, the company announced internally Tuesday morning. Employees were called into a meeting by Tom Rader, chairman and owner of GrandLuxe, who told them the company would
cease operations with the return of the train to Tacoma on Aug. 28. In a letter rafted to send to clients, Rader wrote: “We are financially unable to continue operations.” Later in the letter, Rader said he was aware that consumers with booked trips will want their money refunded, but, he wrote, “At this time we just do not have many answers to your questions. … I am personally deeply sorry that we have failed to provide your trip.” He urged those who paid by credit card to contact the card company for refunds. Evergreen, Colo.-based GrandLuxe, formerly known as American Orient Express, operated train journeys around the U.S. and Mexico.
As for me, I flew from Jackson to Grand Junction to spend my time in between tours. Since there are no more tours, I'm stuck. I'll see if I can get an inexpensive flight back to KC soon. Even while I'm here in Grand Junction, I'm doing some freelance PR and I'll get back on the subbing wagon once I'm back in town.

I still have a number of pix to post from the beautiful Northwest tours. I'll post those as soon as I can.

3 comments:

Alisha said...

That's a shame! It sounded like such a neat tour.

The McDowells said...

Well that stinks, at least it frees you up to do some more fun tours with another company! I hope you can get a back to KC soon!

Unknown said...

Wow, that is a major bummer! I hope you are enjoying your time in CO...looking forward to seeing you soon.