Friday, February 01, 2008

Culture Shock

America is a big and beautiful land, and it's been brought to my attention that you don't have to travel very far to experience culture shock. I would like to share a story from one of my "city" friends.

When Miss City came to visit me (she's from out-of-state), we traveled up to my family's farm. It was cold and rainy, but she still got the idea of what it was like on the farm. We traveled the back roads, I showed off the house I lived in until I was eight, we visited my nephews and mom and it was a nice relaxful afternoon. The entire time she was amazed.

It wasn't until a year later that Miss City shares with me that her farm experience was her first and that it was amazing for her to see a working farm. The American farm to her was something from books and movies and the people in her world didn't have any association to cattle or tractors. She even said that she always knew I came from a farm, but she couldn't put the two together. It was a culture shock to her.

My challenge to you: Go out in your own backyard and dare to explore the back roads and get out of your comfort zone. I bet you won't have to travel too far to find a different way of life.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Who would have known that you could have a tractor in your front yard?!
Miss City

Elaine said...

It's possible, baby. Palm trees seem just as odd to me. They shouldn't be in every day life...

Thanks for the blog content, Lisa. You're always good for a story!

Anonymous said...

I don't comment often but check in often. Oh the farm stories you could tell.