Friday, May 11, 2007

Tales of the Trip

I had a great trip to Anchorage, but it's not without a couple great stories. First, I flew to Las Vegas and there I had to switch planes. I arrived in LV at 7:30 ... the flight wasn't supposed to leave until 9:00. At a quarter til, Southwest canceled the flight due to mechanical difficulties. No worries, there was a plane leaving in 15 minutes that was stopping in Oakland on its way to seattle. I quickly switched tickets, and so did the other passengers, and we booked it clear across the airport. The best part is that I didn't miss my Alaska Airlines connecting flight.

While on the Alaska flight, I struck up a conversation with the gentleman seated next to me. Turns out, he's the human resources manager for the Aleyeska resort, which is one of the places HAL frequents. We exchanged information and I will probably make it down there during an off day to familiarize myself with the resort and the optional tours the resort offers. Anyway, he was such a nice guy! He offered to drive me to my complex from the airport, and I took him up on it. Otherwise, I would've had to have taken a taxi. This isn't something I would regularly do, but I believed he was legit.

The roommates I've met so far are great. There are some that are already training that I haven't met, some that are leaving tomorrow and others coming in next week and even more next month.

Today I explored Anchorage. It's amazing to see all the mountains surrounding the city! The city reminds me of a small town, but here's an odd fact; the city limits of Anchorage is the same size as the state of Delaware! I explored downtown, which is walking distance, and I will possibly bike a coastal trail tomorrow. My training starts in the evening, so I'll have plenty of time.

I also found out today that I'll be doing a Prudhoe Bay training on June 9, which is one of the northern most points in Alaska. It'll be extremely bright then since summer solstice is June 21. As I'm writing this, it's 10:30 p.m. and it looks like it's 6 p.m. outside!

I'm excited to learn what tours I'm doing and the processes tomorrow.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it to AK and that you have already met nice people! I am so excited for you as you start your new job!

Season said...

Sounds like you had an exciting trip up...I'm glad things are going so well! Looking forward to future posts of your adventures!

Anonymous said...

I was always one of those guys who breaks out a book or magazine as soon as he sits down on an airplane... now I ask myself how many interesting stories (and cute women) have I not talked too!?!?

I'm sure you could have gotten my nose out of a book if you sat next to me Elaine!
Keep up on your posts...

Unknown said...

test

Unknown said...

Hi Elaine-

Renee sent me your link so I can follow along on your travels.

I am looking forward to reading about your experiences in Alaska. It will only wet my appetite for my trip later in the year.

If you have any recomendations on the various land tours you will be taking, please post them on your blog.

Carol/NK

Unknown said...

Of all the establishments you've visited so far: Which one served the best BEER???

Unknown said...

Glad you are doing well, but don't forget my moose!

Kackerman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kackerman said...

E--HOORAY AND CONGRATS! Sounds like you're already being adventurous...allowing a strange man to chaffeur you around... :) My parents loved their AK cruise, and I hope we can come see you, if you'll be there for awhile...like two/three years? *Smooch and hugs* We're missing you. I was thinking about last Memorial Day and wishing we could all get together!