Saturday, May 16, 2009

Come Fly with Me

John and I flew away this morning to the air strip at the Gateway Canyons Resort. It was a beautiful day here. I know the Midwest is getting rained out, but the sun just won't stop here. I guess that's what I get for moving to the desert.
Anyway we flew there with some amazing aerial views ... but first, me posing at the airport. I know you're thinking that I should be an airplane model. It's a thought.
This is an aerial of the Colorado National Monument outside Grand Junction.
Here's the approach. At this moment John's talking to the planes already in the air and on the ground getting ready to land. The airstrip is the dirt strip at the right of the photo.
This is where we landed ... and took off. And, yes, Mom, I'm okay. John did a fantastic job. Once we were on the ground and walking to the resort for breakfast, we had to dodge cow pies. So I guess the cattle roamed to the air strip.
This is the plane that arrived shortly after us and the other planes that came into Gateway.

John flying the plane through the canyons.

The final approach into Grand Junction.

3 comments:

The McDowells said...

Wow! Looks like fun! How long of a flight was it?? You should fly down here sometime! I think I am way too chicken to go up in a little 2 seater plane.

Elaine said...

It actually has four seats. There's no need to be nervous since john is a great pilot. The flight was short but fun! I don't think we'll be making the flight to Texas in a private plane anytime soon.

MOM said...

So happy there weren't any cows on the runway when you landed. John has to be an excellent pilot to land on a runway like that. --- Gateway has turned out to be the place to be. It is beautiful there.