Sunday, December 13, 2009

Thanksgiving Recap

I'm going about this a bit backwards, but I thought I would share some of the photos of my Mom's Thanksgiving visit. It was great to see her and we got to be tourists at Arches National Park. It was a wonderful time to go to the park because it was nice and cool.
Mom blending into the landscape.


Mom and I at the Double Arches.



Making the climb to Delicate Arch, which neither John or I had done before. It was quite a hike up hill most all of the 1.5 miles and with some treacherous ledges and such. This is the hike up the slick rock portion.

This was the prize at the end of the hike. Check out how small the person is under the arch. You can't tell all that well, but the rock that is around the arch slants to the right, much like a roof and then there's a ledge. John starts walking toward the arch and I hesitantly follow. Once I get three-quarters of the way to the arch, my knees are literally shaking and I wonder how in the world I'm going to get back to the trail, but I do with my knees knocking. I will never do that part of the trail again. If you come to visit, I'll hike out there with you, but I'll view the arch from a safe distance!


Me and Mom


Me and John at the Double Arches.







1 comment:

The McDowells said...

Great pictures! One of these days our family will come and see you and you can take us there!